Thursday, November 10, 2011

You're All Going to Make Me a Proper Alumni Yet...

Let it be said that I'm basically the worst kind of PSU alumni. I went to Penn State for four years, I got everything I could out of the experience, I was handed my diploma and I left. I was done.

I still didn't "know the God damn words" to the alma mater. I didn't sign up for the alumni association. I didn't send donations back to the University. And, I watched Penn State football with the same interest I watched all other college football. 

For most colleges and universities, that's pretty normal behavior--to walk away. But, as a Penn Stater, that kind of behavior is sacrilege. Graduating a Penn Stater is supposed to be a badge of honor that you wear for a lifetime. And, I think that's where a lot of the resentment and hostility builds up against Penn Staters. The fact that (most) Penn Staters are so obvious and numerous about their pride for their alma mater. It's a mystery of exclusion for those that did not graduate from Penn State and an easy, low-hanging target for criticism for those looking to make light of it. 

But, never having been much of a fan boy, I packed that badge of honor away with my high school letterman coat. My experience, however, is that these same people that would fault you for your chest-beating PSU pride, are the same people that are disappointed if you’re not ‘one of those kooks.’ 

When people know you’re a Penn Stater they love to run to you with every tidbit they hear about PSU. Most often, it’s sports related—a great play, a big game, a score and the like. It’s a means by which people want to relate to you. As a result, I have to pay a little more attention to Penn State scores or highlights so I don’t seem dumb or crass. But, this act makes me ‘one of those guys.’

When I’m out and about and I’m not wearing blue and white, people think my best PSU gear must be threadbare so friends and family buy me Penn State gear—never thinking there was a chance I just didn’t bother to buy any. In showing my gratitude, I wear the gear out and about, making me ‘one of those guys.’

Really, these things end up being little more than token placations to maintain the social norm. But, the one thing I’ve found is that once they’ve pegged you – or made you – ‘one of those guys’ they also feel it’s an open invitation to wax poetic on what’s wrong with the people that are chest beating Penn Staters and they see it as an open invitation to vent about what they dislike about the university.

Most of these criticisms are simple barbs about the sports program, which I have no problem with. Hell, I’ve been very open about saying that I thought JoePa should’ve retired when Penn State joined the Big10 because he coached an antiquated form of football. So, I give people a bit of a pass. But, at the root of it, feeling that you have an open invitation to walk up to me and criticize something I might identify myself with seems a little disrespectful.

I don’t walk up to people in church clothes at restaurants and point out that their kid is being bad and say, as the bible prescribes, you should take that kid to the elders of the village and have him stoned. There’s just a level of respect you have for your fellow man and what they identify themselves with. 

So, enter the events surrounding Jerry Sandusky. If anybody on this planet should be stoned to death, if these allegations prove to be true—as it seems they will, he should receive every inhumane punishment you could imagine. And, those that willfully distorted or hid details to save face should be punished as well. As it seems has been the case. 

Well, because it’s in the news and people have read a headline or two, suddenly they feel they have free license to make statements to me or around me that are disrespectful and worthy of a solid punch in the face. 

I don’t mind a researched, well-thought out argument. I don’t mind differing views or opinions. I don’t mind openly exchanging intelligent debate on events or philosophies. But, when people feel justified to make uneducated, blindly angry comments to me or around me without any consideration for where I may stand on an issue (politics, life, sports, whatever…) shows a complete lack of respect. And, surprising to me, I've kicked a few people to the proverbial curb for showing that lack of respect. 

And it has more than surprised me how much this type of behavior has irritated me related to Penn State. And, weirdly, it seems to have my blue and white blood flowing. I’ve talked more to fellow writers from our college newspaper, The Daily Collegian. I’ve talked with a number of fellow alumni related to this issue. I’ve ardently defended the institution from the individuals. And, I’ve written more in this blog in three days than I probably have in years. I’ve found myself really fired up about this issue, but I think it’s in response to the way this is being handled, the accusations and the disrespect more than a tried and true spirit for the blue in white.

I haven’t defended Sandusky. I haven’t defended the university police that investigated early allegations. I haven’t defended the executives that may have interfered with investigations. I haven’t defended any of the numerous witnesses to crimes in progress that did nothing. I have defended the larger University, its people and, surprisingly, Joe Paterno. 

Making any blanket statement about the students, faculty or alumni has drawn fire from me like I’d never expect to react. The misguided witch hunt for JoePa, the only name people know at the university, has shown a blind anger that gets my face hot. 

Surprising to me, I’ve gone to great lengths to show the testimony that stated JoePa likely new NOTHING about the 98 allegations which were dropped. In fact, testimony on page 7 of the proceedings show JoePa may not even have been aware of the details of allegations of an act witnessed by a graduate assistant against a man JoePa had worked beside for decades without issue. But, regardless, JoePa put the allegations of a grad student that didn’t stop an alleged crime in the hands of people that were trusted to investigate. If JoePa is guilty of anything, he’s guilty of doing what the university prescribed and trusting the system. In hindsight I’m sure it all seems clear in the eyes of the blind rage, but I digress once again. 

Bottom line is that somehow this event has forced me into a position where I’m fighting for Penn State in a way I’d never expect. Sure, it’s built around the perception that people are being willfully disrespectful of me without knowing where I stand on the issue. But, much as I’ve somehow ended up wearing blue and white, following scores, watching news, connecting with alumni and defending the university, I guess I should just say it. 

We are….Penn State!

No comments:

Post a Comment