Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Nine Inch Nails Live From Rehersal

So, I've been a little concerned lately about Nine Inch Nails getting too "synthy." I actually made a comment about the latest CD comparing it to an edgy Depeche Mode. That's not to say it's not great stuff, because it is. It's just a much different vein than I typically associated with Nine Inch Nails. I know bands evolve, I know styles change. And for a long time, even though each release had its own sound and difference, you could feel the intensity. So, for the first release sans-label, I was expecting something that was "so-not-for-radio," and ready to unleash. I imposed a lot of my selfish desire for something aggressive like Broken.

Yes, I know it sounds as if I might be badmouthing Nine Inch Nails, but I'm really not. It's like telling your wife that she has a hair out of place. You still love her and she's the best thing since sliced bread, you're just commenting on something you've noticed.

But the one thing, more than anything that you notice about Nine Inch Nails is that all those over-produced, synthy, rounded edges become razor (or should I say Reznor) sharp intensity in the live show. NIN Live is an experience onto itself. You feel every lyric, every note. So, you can only imagine my excitement to hear the rehersal video that NIN posted on Pitchfork. The seemingly smooth track, 1,000,000 from the CD pounces to life as you will see in the video below. Now, more than ever, I'm looking forward to seeing NIN live in August.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment