Thursday, June 19, 2008

The Cure: A Ray of Hope In The Gloom of the Cure

Went to Cleveland to catch The Cure last night. In an age where gas is over $4/gallon and concert tickets are $50 for the cheap seats (after all the TicketBastard fees), driving 2 hours for a show is a real consideration. It's been 12 years since The Cure came around this way. Well, based on my experience from the last show, it was worth the drive, and they did not dissapoint. The Cure came out with a 3-hour set of new, old, hits and obsurity. This is an estimate on my part, but I'm guessing they played 35 songs?! Fantastic! It's amazing. I listen to music on the radio now that relies so heavily on studio enhancements, but The Cure is what it is. Everything live sounds exactly like it does on the CD. And Robert Smith puts a lot of thought and effort into making each show special. It's not like when I went to see Kiss and every night was exactly the same "(insert city name here) you rock." The set list was new, the performance was passionate and the fans appreciated every moment of it. I know I did. It's funny, I didn't know what to expect fan-wise. The Cure is a band that can sell out MSG and Wembley, but 2,500 is a pull in a place like Cleveland. It didn't seem to matter to them, they played for every one of us. Two encores and even a little bit of playfull banner. I feel a lot of spite paying to see a lot of bands these days. The Cure left me feeling great about my investment. And, they've realized something that a lot of bands haven't--the fans are your best advertising. Let them bring cameras, let them share their experience. People will pay if the product is good. In the case of this shot, it was good. I just really hope that it is not another 12 years before I get to see them again. And, hey, next time, let's not forget Pittsburgh??? If they are coming your way, don't miss out! I'll post my pictures later!

No comments:

Post a Comment